The mission of Stichting (Foundation) Circle Economy is to support projects which either:
- advance the field of the circular economy by empowering individuals, advancing the knowledge available in the field, and/or creating useful outputs in the form of tools, methodologies, or programs that can be further used by the field of circular economy and sustainability; and or:
- advance the ability of circular economy practices, examples, innovations, etc. to be used in the public domain by citizens, governments, and the public at large.
Our remuneration policy (ons beloningsbeleid)
The Foundation does not have any employees.
Our activities carried out in 2018
In 2018, Stichting Circle Economy received different gifts and donations from various foundations and funding organisations, including the Dutch Postcode Lottery, Adessium Foundation, and De Hoge Dennen. These funds were used to support the following projects:
- Circularity Gap Report, to improve our understanding on different levels of practical circular changes including recommendations to coordinate and guide global actions for implementing circularity, as well as outreach activities to engage and grow the circular economy community.
- Further development of the Circle Built Environment Programme. Circle Economy published invaluable knowledge to the public at large, which included a white paper ‘Towards practical implementation of circularity in the built environment’, in collaboration with the WBCSD, focusing on strategies using existing building stocks and constructing new buildings. ‘A framework for Circular Buildings’ report providing a general framework for circular buildings and suggesting concrete strategies and indicators to include in the Dutch BREEAM building standard. Lastly, the latest Circularity Gap Report featured the European built environment and focused on the renovation of existing building stocks.
- Research to uncover the barriers to finance circular economy and to address new critical topics, such as blockchain technology as a potential solution to shift business models towards circularity. Circle Economy published the ‘Linear Risk Essay’, which was followed by the ‘Linear Risks’ Webinar. Both highlighted the risks of linear economic business practices.
- Community of Practice (CoP) on ‘Financing Circular Construction’ and ‘Blockchain for Circular Pay-per-use Models’, a multi-stakeholders alliance bringing experts together to solve complex interdisciplinary challenges and explore new circular business models.
- Scaling up our impact in various key impact areas by developing and fine-tuning ‘Circle Lab‘, an online open-access platform, which allows anyone to embark on a digital circular trajectory: learn, map out key opportunities and challenges, connect, engage, and ideate with each other, and finally model and implement circular strategies contributing to a collective and shared body of knowledge. This platform includes, for instance, the Knowledge Hub launched in December 2018 and the Challenge Platform.
Our activities to be carried out in 2019
The Foundation (Stichting) is expected to receive gifts and donations from various sources, including:
De Hoge Dennen
These funds will be used to support projects in the field of circularity that support the public good. When Stichting Circle Economy receives proposals for funding that are in line with our mission, proposals will be reviewed by the Stichting Board of Directors.
For more information regarding the internal controls and policies of Stichting Circle Economy, please refer to the attached document: Internal Regulations Stichting Circle Economy 2017.
Address: Keizersgracht 532 1017 EK Amsterdam
Chair: Sietze Hepkema
Secretary: Karin Jironet
Member: Robert-Jan van Ogtrop
Please find attached our most recent financial annual reports.